Re: Data structure for indexing on multiple keys.

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:42:38 -0700

"Jose Juan Mendoza Rodriguez" <me_at_privacy.net> wrote in message news:hj5qhc.ga.ln_at_ID-112571.user.uni-berlin.de...

> > Please note that this is not about composite keys but supporting
> >multiple keys for searching. Thanks in advance for inputs!
> >
> >Regards,
> >Shankar
>
> Hello,
>
> it is ironic that you are posting from news.oracle.com and asking this.
> There is an awful lot of these structures, each one intended for
> different applications (for example, in-memory or filesystem-based?).
> There is a somewhat old survey paper published in ACM Computing Surveys,
>
> Volker Gaede, Oliver Günther
> Multidimensional Access Methods
> ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 30, No. 2, June 1998
>
> If you do not have access to this paper, try searching the web for the
> following keywords. For main memory:
>
> k-d Tree (Bentley)
> BSP Tree (Fuchs)
> BD Tree (Ohsawa and Sakauchi)
> Quadtree
>
> For secondary storage:
>
> k-d-B Tree (Robinson)
> LSD Tree (Henrich)
> Buddy Tree (Seeger and Kriegel)
> BANG File (Freeston)
> hB Tree (Lomet and Salzberg)
> BV Tree (Freeston)
> R-Tree (Guttman)
> R* Tree (Beckmann)
> P-Tree (Jagadish)
> P-Tree (Schiwietz)
> SKD Tree (Ooi)
> GBD Tree (Ohsawa and Sakauchi)
> PLOP Hashing (Kriegel and Seeger)
> Extended k-d Tree (Matsuyama)
> R+ Tree (Stonebraker)
> Cell Tree (Günther)
> Multilayer Grid File (Six and Widmayer)
> R-File (Hutflesz)
>
> I think that k-d trees and k-d-B trees are the easiest to understand,
> the latter being a blend of the former and B-trees.
>
> Regards.
>
> José Juan Mendoza Rodríguez
>
> let me=josejuanmr in
> let privacy=lycos in
> let net=es in
> me_at_privacy.net

First, it is unclear what kind of queries did OP have in mind. But, anyhow, I fail to see how multidimensional methods can be relevant to his problem. Multidimensional query in its simplistic form is finding a list of intervals that cover a given point

select x,y from intervals where x < 5 and 5 < y

OP, however, has a relation with each column from different domain (e.g. name, age, ...). Am I missing something? Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 23:42:38 CEST

Original text of this message