Re: Data structure for indexing on multiple keys.

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:22:34 -0400

"Shankar" <shankar_at_xyz.com> wrote in message news:X7D%c.57$sk2.87_at_news.oracle.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have fair knowledge of B-tree and hash indexing mechanisms. What
> data structure/algorithms should I read upon if I want to create indexes
> on multiple keys of a same relation? For e.g if a Employee relation has
> EmpNo, EmpName, EmpSalary, EmpDepth attributes & users can query on any
> of these attributes. Do I create separate B-trees for each key?
>
> Please note that this is not about composite keys but supporting
> multiple keys for searching. Thanks in advance for inputs!
>
> Regards,
> Shankar

It's not clear to me from the wording of your question whether you are asking in the context of an engineer implementing a new DBMS, or in the context of a database designer deciding what "CREATE INDEX" commands to specify.

If you are a DBMS implementor, the answer begins: "It depends".

If you are a database designer, the answer begins: "It depends". :)

But from that point onward, the answers are different. Received on Wed Sep 08 2004 - 20:22:34 CEST

Original text of this message