Re: Data structure for indexing on multiple keys.

From: Burning Spear <see_at_sig.below>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:45:08 -0400

Shankar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have fair knowledge of B-tree and hash indexing mechanisms. What
> data structure/algorithms should I read upon if I want to create indexes
> on multiple keys of a same relation? For e.g if a Employee relation has
> EmpNo, EmpName, EmpSalary, EmpDepth attributes & users can query on any
> of these attributes. Do I create separate B-trees for each key?
>
> Please note that this is not about composite keys but supporting
> multiple keys for searching. Thanks in advance for inputs!
>
> Regards,
> Shankar

Maybe I am wrong but arent KD trees and d-dimensional range trees meant to provide just what you are looking for.. Both these data structures are usually covered in computational geometry books.

Remove obviously faked punctuation from
mayuresh79 a.t y.aho.o peri-od c.om
and ignore the rest of this sig
btrident79_at_angelfire.com