Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:16:26 -0400

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:e4330f45.0409060219.52b47c9c_at_posting.google.com...
> > I think data sharing is not and should not be
> > the privilege of people with a sound knowledge of
> > "The Relational Model" (capitalization yours).
>
> I think that database system development should be the privilege of
> people with at least an elementary knowledge on the basics of the data
> management field.
>
> By the way the capitalization is not mine, in English the proper nouns
> are capitalized.

Your application of this rule does not agree with the usage of most English writers, nor with the style rules presented in the best books on English writing style.

Proper nouns are indeed capitalized. I tell a friend the following: "I am going to the Odeon theatre." Note the capitalization carefully. The word Odeon (in this context) is a proper noun. But the word "the" and the word "theatre" in this context are not proper nouns, and are therefore not capitalized.

One could argue that "Relational" should be capitalized, but stating that "The Relational Model" is one big proper noun is in fact taking a position on the topic being discussed, and not merely adhering to the formal rules of English. You may take a position if you wish, and support it with arguments, but please don't tell us that the rules of grammar make your position the only grammatical one. That's straight out of Orwell. Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 14:16:26 CEST

Original text of this message