Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:48:49 -0400

"Alistair Bayley" <alistair_at_abayley.org> wrote in message news:n14_c.95957$a66.84284_at_fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> It's not adding a lot to the discussion, but just to show that it's not
> just database weenies who think about this:
>
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/DatabaseStyles.html

Thanks for the addition.

(I like to think of myself as an "expert" rather than a "weenie", but I'll let that pass.)

The point that the article reinforces is that the Object community IS interested in integration, just like the database community is. They just don't think of the database as the place to accomplish the integration. That's different from
the way many people in the database community think of the object community. We tend to think of the construction of an EDS as a deliberate insult to the concept of data management and data integration.

It's not an intentional insult. It's just an attempt to gain persistence and durability without engaging in information sharing.

The more we both realize this, the better. Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 14:48:49 CEST

Original text of this message