Re: First Impressions on Using Alphora's Dataphor

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:59:17 GMT

"Paul G. Brown" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:57da7b56.0409011040.7e14e505_at_posting.google.com...

> (*sigh*)
>
> This misreading of what I said is *precisely* the kind of 'mental
> inhibitor'
> I am talkin' about. I wrote (very carefully) that 'These challenges
> are
> driving requirements for which the DBMS model of the world--either
> SQL DBMS
> or TR DBMS--is entirely unsuited.'
>
> I carefully defined DBMS. I said 'centralized, shared repository'.
> This
> systems model (DBMS = DataBase Management System) is unsuited to the
> two
> challenges I described because the information will be not be
> centralized,
> nor globally shared, and it will not be placed into a repository to
> be
> accessed again later. It will be highly decentralized, parts of it
> will be
> available to different users at differnet points in time, and it
> will be
> entirely volatile: it will be cheaper to go back to the original
> source and
> ask 'what was that again?' than to store it. Whatever systems are
> created to
> cope with these challenges, I am willing to bet that not a single
> line of
> code from a SQL DBMS or a TR DBMS will be used.
>
> But you make a mild observation about the limits that might apply to
> a True
> Relational DBMS, and the relational zealots glance up, bleary-eyed,
> from
> their row of empty shot-glasses, and start flingin' peanuts at yer
> head.
>
> Sheesh. If anyone asks after me, tell 'em I'm hangin' out on
> alt.cranky-old-ex-DBMS-coots-who-are-working-on-other-problems-now-thank-you-very-much.

You have apparently mistaken me for someone else.

Distributed doesn't necessarily mean decentralized. There are benefits to centralization that are fundamental; administration for one. On the other hand, loosely-federated distributed systems have some interesting possibilities that a centralized approach does not.

It sounds like we might be able to have an interesting and productive conversation if you are willing to drop the drama queen act.

Marshall Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 04:59:17 CEST

Original text of this message