Re: How to model searchable properties of an entity

From: Laconic2 <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:29:44 -0400

"Bernard Peek" <> wrote in message
> In message <cg1fa1$52m$>, pstnotpd

> He was quoting me there. The point of EAV is to build a database without
> a logical data model. You don't need one to build an EAV system.

Excellent point!

> It reminds me of the C language.
> The greatest advantage of the C language is that in the hands of a
> competent programmer it can do anything.
> The greatest disadvantage of the C language is that in the hands of an
> incompetent programmer it can do anything.

Way back in 1980, I decided to learn a new "structured" language, instead of ALGOL. Because of what was available on the machine I was moving towards (a VAX), I chose PASCAL.

I got a lot of contempt from C programmers, who told me that "strong typing is for sissies".

They got to learn how the debugger works, real well. I had already learned that in an earlier lifetime, so I didn't want to learn it again. Instead, I spent the time learning data normalization.

Now people are telling me that "normalization is for sissies". Received on Thu Aug 19 2004 - 15:29:44 CEST

Original text of this message