Re: How to model searchable properties of an entity

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:00:45 GMT

In message <c0e3f26e.0408160611.70207f65_at_posting.google.com>, Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> writes

>> Also, I may have 500 such properties and I can have up to 1M different
>> part numnbers. This will give you some idea of complexity.
>> User may choose, show me all the parts with width 10 inches, and price
>> less than $10 and .... can go on for ever. I need to come back in
>> resonable time (Reasonable can be couple of seconds)
>
>These cannot be realistic requirements! What user is going to be
>looking for anything 10 inches wide and costing under $10? Unless
>they just want something to use for a door-stop, and don't care
>whether it is a hammer or a toaster...

You are making value judgements about the data without knowing what the users' requirements may be. As a DBA you should aim to understand your data well enough to justify those value judgements. But until you have verified the requirements with the relevant user you have to avoid jumping to unjustified conclusions.

You can't know that nobody will ever perform a search which includes size < 10" and cost <$10. Someone somewhere may urgently want a doorstop and not care whether it is a hammer or a toaster as long as it is available immediately.

--
Bernard Peek