Re: How to model searchable properties of an entity

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:33:42 GMT

In message <_sGdndMfcq9Xi7_cRVn-qQ_at_comcast.com>, Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net> writes

>I usually end up with everybody mad at me, and ready to roast me. I'm a
>little hesitant to try it again.

I get that reaction when I tell the OO people that the concept of class is a fundamental error in OO thinking.

>> I for one would be really interested in another way of doing this
>> without having to define a load of tables or 1 table with a load of
>> columns which will be mostly NULL by nature.
>
>What's wrong with "a load of tables"? If each table relates to a
>"proposition" expressed as a "relation", then if you have a lot of
>propositions, perhaps you ought to have a lot of tables.

Absolutely. The data drives the design. If the data is complex then learn to deal with it.

--
Bernard Peek