Re: How to model searchable properties of an entity

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 16 Aug 2004 07:16:45 -0700

pstnotpd <schoenmakers_at_tpd.tno.nl> wrote in message news:<cfpv8e$55q$1_at_voyager.news.surf.net>...
> I've done something like this a couple of years ago. What I ended up
> doing was creating tables for meta-data, somewhat like Todd is
> suggesting, but more elaborate. This came rather naturally as we were
> trying to implement a product hierarchy in which a certain product class
> had certain properties and specific products could have seperate properties.

The DBMS already contains meta-data in the form of the data dictionary, which tells you what attributes (columns) each entity type (table) has, and what values are permitted there (constraints). Why not use that rather than reinvent it? Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 16:16:45 CEST

Original text of this message