Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: John Atwood <jatwood_at_cvpjaws03.dhcp.cv.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:37:12 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Riehle <adaworks_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>One of the earliest good books on software engineering was
>Grady Booch's Software Engineering in Ada. The first
>couple of chapters are particularly good.
>
>I recently re-read the original 1969 report from the NATO
>conference. Everyone with a concern about software
>engineering should read that at some time or other. The
>sad thing is, that after the recent reading of the report, I
>realized that almost all the problems identified then, are
>the problems that still confront us today.

I was pleased to finally find this online:

        http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/brian.randell/NATO/

Also, Royce's 1970 "waterfall" paper:

        http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/jhuang/is553/Royce.pdf

Many have mentioned Brooks' MMM, but his "No Silver Bullet" isn't in the original MMM (it is included in the '95 edition). "No Silver Bullet" is also online at:

        http://www.virtualschool.edu/mon/SoftwareEngineering/BrooksNoSilverBullet.html

John Received on Fri Aug 06 2004 - 21:37:12 CEST

Original text of this message