Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 31 Jul 2004 13:46:18 -0700

Nick Landsberg <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net> wrote in message news:<u_COc.356817$Gx4.204986_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> It seems there's a normal human attitude that
> "the other guy's job is easier," so we tend to
> underestimate the effort involved in those
> areas where we don't have expertise.

The problem with the Information Technology camp is that most practicioners have not expertise in Information Technology, but only in isolated parcels.

> Or, more
> precisely, we underestimate the level of experience needed
> to be reasonably adroit with a certain
> "thing" (database/compiler/linker, to use your
> examples).

Most software developers and engineers underestimate the level of knowledge about databases needed to be a reasonabily compentent IT professional. (But I am trying to cease to be among them :)

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat Jul 31 2004 - 22:46:18 CEST

Original text of this message