Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Nick Landsberg <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:55:38 GMT

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Clinging to sanity, jcoffin_at_taeus.com (Jerry Coffin) mumbled into her beard:
>

>>A few might qualify as crossovers as well: just for example, Lion's
>>book or almost any of Tannenbaum's books could be used for studying
>>SE, with operating sytsems as the example code. Likewise, the Dragon
>>Book could be used as a study in SE with compilers as the sample
>>code.

> There's a bit of a problem with that; when SE's are expected to build
> systems that involve database usage, and they _don't_ have any
> guidance as to why databases should be used one way or another, it's
> pretty likely that they will re-invent the same _broken_ wheels that
> others have repetitively invented over the years...
>
> Substitute
> s/database/compiler/g
> s/database/linker/g
> s/database/markup language/g
> as needed...

Amen to that, Chris.

It seems there's a normal human attitude that "the other guy's job is easier," so we tend to underestimate the effort involved in those areas where we don't have expertise. Or, more precisely, we underestimate the level of experience needed to be reasonably adroit with a certain
"thing" (database/compiler/linker, to use your examples).

--
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof
because fools are so ingenious"