Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Jerry Coffin <jcoffin_at_taeus.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2004 07:58:09 -0700

stevejohnson1972_at_yahoo.com (Steve Johnson) wrote in message news:<949ec44a.0407280704.12141129_at_posting.google.com>...

[ ... ]

> Are there any other books like MMM that you can think of where every
> page is packed with insight where it seems not a single word is in
> vain?

_Programming Proverbs_ by Henry Ledgard.

This does have some shortcomings: first of all, it's probably been out of print for at least 20 years, so if you get it at all it'll probably be used. Second, the sample code is all in languages most people would consider obsolete, such as PL/I and FORTRAN IV. Finally, it came along when top-down programming was a new and wonderful thing, and the author might be considered bigoted on the subject (his third and fourth proverbs are "Use the top-down approach" and "Avoid other approaches"). Nonetheless, I think it's better than most of the more recent attempts I've seen at the same genre.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.