Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Andrew Reilly <areilly-newspost_at_areilly.bpc-users.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:29:26 +1000

Steve Johnson wrote:
> Are there any other books like MMM that you can think of where every
> page is packed with insight where it seems not a single word is in
> vain?

I like Bertrand Meyer's "Object Oriented Software Construction" 2nd rev. Certainly a lot of detail to think about.

Might not be as concise or as general as you're after, but it's a big field.

At Uni, long ago, I was taught from "Software Engineering" by I. Sommerville. I hardly remember it, but I don't think that I liked it. Full of software life cycle diagrams and the like, from memory.

More programming-specific and more beginner-level than you're after, but very beautiful is "Data Structures, with Abstract Data Types and Pascal", by Stubbs and Webre. I think that there are revisions with the examples in other languages, now, but I haven't read them.

Cheers,

--
Andrew