Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2004 15:56:21 -0700

> > More correctly, 'brown' itself is a proposition. 'brown' is equivalent
> > to the proposition 'brown is sequentially composed of b, r, o, w, n'.
>
> I touched on this in my last reply, but would you also not
> contend that the following are also true, and therefore
> equivalent in your mind:
> "'brown' is sequentially composed of 'n,' 'w,' 'o,'
> 'r' and 'b' in reverse order"

Simplifying the above (ridding two negatives) is equivalent to the original proposition.

> "brown is a five-letter word"
> "brown begins with 'b'"
> "brown ends with 'n'"
> "brown has one vowel and four consonants"

The above propositions could be derived from the original proposition, but the original could not be derived from the above, thus they are not equivalent.

It may have been better for me to say: 'brown' is equivalent to 'a thing is sequentially composed of b, r, o, w, n' Received on Wed Jul 21 2004 - 00:56:21 CEST

Original text of this message