Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 10:13:01 -0700

> > One only needs to look at the above tuple to see 'brown' is redundant.
> > One can become blind to this obvious fact by seeing things through a
> > limited data model.
>
> No, once again: The problem is that you stick to the physical layer.

RM is a logical model. Implementation of it attempt to keep users in the logical layer. Are you saying that when a user enter a person, a street, a color, a string, or a symbol into a db such as SqlServer or Oracle, that he is working at the logical layer for somethings and physical layer for others? Please explain how to determine which layer user-entered data in a RM db belongs to?

> Semantic is important in the logical layer and semantic is
> import for normalization. Words like "light" comes to mind. What
> to do with them?

Not a problem in XDb1/2's data model (TM) as it recognizes that one thing (string 'light') can name 0 to many other things.

> Your argument leads to the only atomar information size in computer: one bit.

Maybe my arguments lead YOU to believe that the only atomic information size is a bit. My arguments do not lead ME to believe that the only atomic information size is a bit. Bit is a hardware/physical layer issue. My data model (TM) can be implemented on hardware without bits and still represent the concept of bits, bytes, integers, hex, octal, decimal, etc in the logical layer of the db. A bit is not required hardware to represent things. The best example of this is between your ears. Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 19:13:01 CEST

Original text of this message