Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:53:24 GMT

Marshall:

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote ...

> I've downloaded UniVerse this weekend, but haven't gotten too far
> with it.
>
> What's the difference between UniVerse and UniData?

Universe merged several different mvDbms products and is now able to be used by code from several different heritages (within the mvDbms market that is). Unidata is a cleaner version and never really worried about trying to be all things to all people (within the mvDbms market that is). Anybody moving to Unidata had to convert their applications and table structures to Unidata's while this wasn't really necessary with Universe.

So, despite the basic similarities of the environment, the underlying dbms code (I mean the actual code written to run the dbms) is significantly different.

It has often been said if you're converting from one mvDbms to another move to Universe but if you designing from scratch use Unidata. :-)

Hope this helps.

Bill Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 14:53:24 CEST

Original text of this message