Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 02:59:39 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<H%oDc.98848$2i5.74802_at_attbi_s52>...
> "Tony Douglas" <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:bcb8c360.0406180909.7fe81c07_at_posting.google.com...
> Hear hear! Bravo! Bravo!

> Please, tell my what is your *other* main bugbear with TTM.

My other main bugbear with TTM was over the type system, but I must admit I'm softening my line on that, but not possibly for the normal reason. I felt that the facility to have mulitple possible representations for a type only served to create complications, without adding a lot to the party. I still feel that way, purely from the programming language point of view - but in terms of logical & physical independence over time, as implementations of the types might change in the database, a facility along these lines is probably necessary - otherwise, changing a type representation would require a fair bit of work altering values of that type in the database. Still not a great fan of type hierarchies though, although I can grudgingly accept some rationales for them. (Interestingly, I think Alphora 2 drops type hierarchies as well.)

> Marshall

Cheers,

  • Tony