Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:22:45 +0100

In message <99UHc.45677$JR4.38565_at_attbi_s54>, Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com> writes
>The distinction you're drawing is that in addition to all the stuff that
>both model store, (names, addresses, relationships, metadata, functions,
>constraints, stored procedures) the MV model additionally stores
>application code, compiled code, MV tools, etc. Is that right?
>
>Again, it's something I'd like to try out. Can you recommend a free
>solution; the mysql of MV?

See my sig :-) Note however, it's open source and somewhere between alpha and beta status ... (plus I wouldn't call it "pure MV" - more like an "MV BASIC compiler over a relational database" almost :-( so it's likely to be very misleading as an intro into the MV model.

The other thing is to download one of the commercial variants. There are three at least that are "free for non-commercial use" namely Jbase (www.jbase.com), and UniVerse and UniData (both now owned by IBM). I'm not sure of the urls for those two - there's no point searching the IBM site because it's a needle in a haystack, but if you go to www.u2ug.org and look at the FAQs, it'll almost certainly be there.

Cheers,
Wol

--
Anthony W. Youngman <pixie_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the