Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2004 11:13:44 -0700

> > If graphical things were being stored in a db, and the db stored the
> > same two graphical things twice, the second one would be a candidate
> > for normalization.
>
> So why is it that when I pointed out that strings are stored as bits in a
> database, you insisted they could be normalized no further than the level
> of characters, based on "symbolic logic"?

One only needs to normalize things (ie symbols) at the logical layer. How symbols are stored at the physical layer (bits, bytes, neurons) can vary from one platfrom to another. Note, regardless of hardware, data models can represent the concept of bits and its fundamental values 0 and 1 at the logical level without the hardware ever having bits, bytes or integers (our brains are examples of this). Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 20:13:44 CEST

Original text of this message