Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 02:14:47 GMT

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:DWM+oVL8Ny7AFwjT_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...

> But my experience is that that begs the question. Do you want your data
> to be "consistent" OR "accurate"? Constraints enforce consistency, but
> what do you do when real-life decides that IT is going to be
> INconsistent?

Can you give me an example? Also note, DBMSs are for managing data, not for managing real life.

> With flexibility comes power. MV solutions are more flexible.

Easier to use, maybe. But less flexible, from what I can tell.

> >> Now, what good is this? As Mr Youngman points out it only takes one disk
> >> read to get the account and its relationships to the uncleared transactions.
> >> This is an almost instantaneous response to our web clients. So there's an
> >> upside.
> >
> >Ugh. Let's please not talk about disk reads.
> >
> So you're quite happy to give your clients a system that, running on a
> Cray, still makes an old Z80-based system look like a speed demon?
>
> The whole reason we hammer on about disk accesses is because we
> KNOW we can't be beaten.

I don't wish to condescend, but when you talk about performance, I get the impression that it's not something you know very much about, and that you have an extremely simplified view of how it works. In any event, the topic is *extremely* complicated, to the point that counting disk reads is a useless endevour.

Sigh. All right.

Is there a canonical MV application that I can get easily and try out, so as to evaluate your performance claims? If someone were to ask me the same about a SQL dbms, I'd say "mysql." Is there a mysql of MV?

I'd like to compare some complicated query performance on mysql vs. X-MV. Not that complicated query performance is a mysql strong point.

> At the end of the day, by avoiding things like disk reads, you are
> saying "performance is irrelevant".

Performance is very relevant. I know what it is that I'm saying, and it's not what you're saying I'm saying.

> Taken to its extreme, that means
> that you would be quite happy ...

You're trying to put words in my mouth. Don't do that.

Marshall Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 04:14:47 CEST

Original text of this message