Re: A Normalization Question

From: VHarris001 <vharris001_at_aol.com>
Date: 09 Jul 2004 12:50:18 GMT

Alan wrote:

>Unfortunately, I don't agree that his implemenation is practical. You wind
>up storing nothing but pointers to data. This would be a nightmare when it
>comes time to extract the data. Imagine trying to debug a report. Then there
>is the question of data entry. How would the system know what data was
>already entered? Ex: A user goes to enter the string "Brown" as a car color.
>The system would need to check to see if that string was already enetered.
>The overhead would be enormous.

Why? As I recall, an index will locate a specific instance in a file of 1 billion records in just 30 looks. How much overhead would be required to perform 30 iterations to verify the existance of 'brown' versus whatever the alternative is?

V Harris Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 14:50:18 CEST

Original text of this message