Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:44:40 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:GipDc.159689$3x.28156_at_attbi_s54...

> Perhaps I misunderstand, but MV has only the one kind of
> relationship it is capable of understanding: containment.
> Yes, it understands the meaning of this, so it knows what
> a one-to-many relationship means. Does it have any other
> facilities for understanding meaning?

I don't know much about MV, either. What I've read in here reminds me of LISP. Only in the the sense that there are lots of pointers, everything is a tree, and every value can be replaced by a subtree.

If that's correct, then I would suggest that there is another relationship that MV can understand: sequence.
Sequence is inherent in a list. Actually, the combination of sequence and containment is quite powerful. Almost powerful enough to constitute the basis for a database system!

So near and yet so far. Received on Sun Jun 27 2004 - 12:44:40 CEST

Original text of this message