Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:42:32 GMT

Tony:

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0406100132.6b88c3e5_at_posting.google.com...

> Pick doesn't have a "free" optimizer: it just doesn't have one. So
> either there is only one access path, and too bad if it isn't optimal,
> or you the designer/programmer are playing the part of the optimizer
> yourselves (and I don't suppose your time comes free).

I would ask: is the developer more efficient optimizing application data or is the DBA? A Pick-like dbms asks the developer to optimize while RDBMS products ask the DBA (or it's self optimizing based on queries) to optimize.

Bill Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 00:42:32 CEST

Original text of this message