Re: cdt

From: Alan <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:17:22 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:m-SdnVqX64hkjV7dRVn-vw_at_comcast.com...
> Perhaps the problem lies in the word "implicit", in the term "implicit
> meaning". Perhaps what is implicit is subject to misinterpratation.

Not if you know the difference between implicit and explicit, which you have provided by example, below. Implicit is implied, explicit is expressed. Implicit is correct in this case. I'm fairly sure Drs. Elmasri and Navathe carefully considered which word to use, and that their editor reviewed it somewhere during the process of creating three editions of the book. Try,

Known facts that can be recorded and have _an implied_ meaning.

They're not explicit until after they've been recorded (or stated, i.e., expressed).