Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:03:13 GMT

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message:  news:40be201d$0$65124$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>
> > It think it is worth noting that is far more difficult to retrieve an
> > invoice the way it looked originally after chopping it up
>
> You chopped it up. Why?
>
> While chopping it up, you got rid of the layout.
> What you will retrieve is the data, not the layout.
> Now if you also have some markup for the abstract invoice,
> you can just fit the invoice-data you retrieved into the
> invoice-markup.

I find it interesting you should say this. All RDBMS products I've seen show data in columns and rows. In fact, that is the language of RDBMS: rows and columns.

It is not unusual, therefore, to define and describe data in a preferred layout?

Bill Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 00:03:13 CEST

Original text of this message