Re: eliminating redundant data

From: gordy <gordy_at_dynamicsdirect.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:45:23 -0700

> Well, I don't know SQL Server, but in Oracle, you create an index using the
> CREATE INDEX statement. I suspect it works the same or similar in SQL
> Server.
>
> Here's an Oracle example that creates an index called
> "asearch_client_id_idx" on the client_id field in a table called
> "alphasearch" owned by user "alphasearch":
>
> CREATE INDEX ALPHASEARCH.ASEARCH_CLIENT_ID_IDX
> ON ALPHASEARCH.ALPHASEARCH(CLIENT_ID);
wow, what a concept ;)

I appreciate the criticism.. after all that's the intent of my original post, however, I would prefer it to be of the constructive variety.

In my system, there are 'fields' and there are 'variables'. the user creates the relationships between them whenever they send a message. in order to search for messages by 'variable' values, sql needs a relationship of its own to translate between them.

this has kept me from being able to use the obvious: [records]
id,field1,field2,field3,...

because in a query for 'variable1', depending on the message it may have to look at 'field3' or 'field4' for the value. this requirement is why I have the tables I have now (recordindex, fieldindex and recordvalues).

I realize this makes for very large indexes.. and like you said, the table itself is nothing more than a big index. This is the problem I'd like to solve. In my original post I explained how I attempted to eliminate redundant data, but I only eliminated 500mb (of 4gb) because the majority of volume in this db isn't the data itself, but the index size.