Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:55:05 GMT

On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:26:31 -0300, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Em Sun, 30 May 2004 23:06:51 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:
>
>>>Rationalism is as irrational(/rational) as any oher faith.
>>
>> What a nonsense!
>
> No, it is not.

It is incredible nonsense. One of the biggest nonsense written here.

> Rationalism, usually defined as the belief
>that human reasoning is the sole or sufficient test of truth, is
>circular reasoning.

Wrong.

<quote>

Rationalism, also known as the rationalist movement, is a philosophical doctrine that asserts that the truth should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma or religious teaching.

</quote>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalist

It is only common sense, the less common of the senses.

Faith is a form of superstition.

<quote>

Superstition is a term used to refer to a set of behaviors that may be faith based, or related to magical thinking, whereby the practitioner believes that the future, or the outcome of certain events, can be influenced by certain of his or her behaviors.

Critics argue that superstition is not based on reason, but instead springs from religious feelings that are misdirected or unenlightened, which leads in some cases to rigor in religious opinions or practice, and in other cases to belief in extraordinary events or in charms, omens, and prognostics. Many superstitions can be prompted by misunderstandings of causality or statistics.

</quote>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstition

> Now, this is Philosophy in general. In Natural Philosophy,
>also known as Science, reason is indeed our only resource.

Of course not!

In science the only resource is observation. Reason is used to understand the observations and to make predictions.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Mon May 31 2004 - 16:55:05 CEST

Original text of this message