Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:55 +0200

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> Alfredo Novoa wrote:

>>>Wow !
>>>An this is not data, I suppose.
>>
>>Of course not. The data are the facts not the stored representation.

> I have used terms like "storing data" and "retrieving data" for my entire
> career to date -- what should I be saying instead? --dawn

Why would you say something else?
When you store data some mechanism creates some physical representation that can be transformed back into a user or program usable presentation when it is retrieved. I don't see why
acknowledging that the physical representation is not the data itself should force you to change your use of these terms. Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 22:57:55 CEST

Original text of this message