Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:38:53 GMT

"John Jacob" <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:72f08f6c.0405271716.7e8c4e6_at_posting.google.com...
> > You see Date's definition of the Relational Model of the data?
> > He too attempts to address the system. Please read his definition
> > which I have replicated below.
> >
> > Relational database systems theory based on the RM cannot
> > hope to approach this simple notion of intelligence, because it
> > is not (yet) designed for that.
> >
> > Organizations and industry need to have a working model
> > of organizational intelligence, not just the data. Constructive
> > here is my criticism of the Relational Model.
>
> You have yet to address the fundamental questions that have been
> raised in this discussion. You are re-inventing the wheel here, but
> your wheel is square. Your claim amounts to nothing less than stating
> that algebra is incomplete because it does not address structural
> engineering. You have read one textbook on elementary algebra, and
> because all it said is that algebra enables things like structural
> engineering, you have assumed that structural engineering is never
> addressed. You refuse to familiarize yourself with current thinking on
> structural engineering, even though the very same author that wrote
> the one textbook you have read has written extensively on the subject,
> and instead have decided to come up with your own theory of structural
> engineering. All without even correctly identifying the reasons that
> we need structural engineering in the first place! If your intent is
> simply to have 'found the solution', so be it, we proclaim you the
> genius that brought us the 'relational model of organizational
> intelligence.' In the meantime, we will be addressing the real issues
> that we face in actual application development every day.

FWIW I will have a look around for "What not How", but I am not hopeful of seeing a change in philosophy by the author between the two books.

What issues you face today in apps development I have faced for some considerable time, at an IT management level oversighting both development, implementation and production (mainframe, midrange and PCLAN) concerns.

Every day has a history, which I have attempted to portray from my perspective, in a series of articles:
www.mountainman.com.au/software/history

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 18:38:53 CEST

Original text of this message