Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:02:29 GMT

> > Intelligence is more than the logic of the apps.
>
> Yes, it is the logic of the system.

Thankyou.

You see Date's definition of the Relational Model of the data? He too attempts to address the system. Please read his definition which I have replicated below.

Relational database systems theory based on the RM cannot hope to approach this simple notion of intelligence, because it is not (yet) designed for that.

Organizations and industry need to have a working model of organizational intelligence, not just the data. Constructive here is my criticism of the Relational Model.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz

===========[quote]======================

What is the Relational Model of Data?

Relational [database] systems are based on a formal theory called the relational model of data according to which:

Data is represented by rows in tables,
and such rows can be directly interpretted as true propositions, .[trim]. Operators are provided for operating on rows in tables and those operators directly support the process of inferring additional true propositions from the given ones. .[trim].

A data model is an abstract, self-contained, logical definition of the objects, operators, and so forth, that together constitute the abstract machine with which the users interact.

The objects allow us to model the structure of data. The operators allow us to model its behaviour.

  • C.J.Date: "Database Systems"; Introduction, p14
http://www.mountainman.com.au/software/Theory_of_Organizational_Intelligence.htm Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 20:02:29 CEST

Original text of this message