delimited/separated structures of string data (was: Wishing trolls away)

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:24:55 +0200

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> Mikito Harakiri wrote:
[snip]

>>So Pick is dead. Get over it.

> That's the type of logic I like to see. But perhaps you are right that
> there is no more use for tag-delimited nested structures of string data (aka
> PICK). smiles. --dawn

:-)

Ah! So that what PICK is about.
Is that just PICK or MV in general?

There is a *lot* of delimited/separated structures of string data floating around in(as you are well aware). It's easy to program - I've seen a lot of roll-your-own (RYO) formats in use.

This raises two more questons.

The obvious question would be:
So what makes PICK/MV especially suitable for this?

Another, to me more interesting, question is: What general purpose - so not for instance, SWIFT - delimited/separated formats do we have
in use in the immediate vicinity of databases?

Advantages, drawbacks, gotcha's, criteria?

  • DBMS-specific query result sets (what standards do we have here?)
  • ODBC/JDBC query result sets (?)
  • RYO
  • CSV
  • DCF
  • SGML
  • XML ... ?

Anybody? Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 14:24:55 CEST

Original text of this message