Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:56:43 GMT

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:43:43 GMT, "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote:

>There are 3 software environments:
>E1 = Operating system and network os layer
>E2 = RDBMS layer
>E3 = application layer

>The RM does not reflect the actuality of the above, nor
>make any provision for the management of the E3 layer
>because it is not yet completely evolved.

No, the application layer is what must be adapted to the RM and not the contrary. What is not evolved is the application layer.

>The catch-cry "the RM is just as applicable to database
>systems today, as it was in the early 1980's" should be
>taken as an indication that something is wrong with it as
>a pedagogic device for 2004.

There are many things wrong in the application layer. For instance the application programming languages.

>The reason for this is that E2 and E3 have changed alot
>since 1980, particularly E2, the RDBMS software. Due
>to the emergence of addressable stored procedures in
>the RDBMS

But complete RDBMS's still don't exist.

>, there has been an effective "migration" of
>intelligence (code) from E3 to E2.

But not enough, and in the last years we are seeing a regression. A migration of business logic from SQL DBMS's to the crappy "Application Servers".

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 13:56:43 CEST

Original text of this message