Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:45:17 GMT

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:43:18 +0100, "Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>It's just that I find Newtonian mechanics an excellent analogy. To
>express it in computerese, both Newtonian Mechanics and Relational
>Theory are instances of the class Mathematical_Theory.

You never learn. Newtonian Mechanics are not mathematical theory, they are physics. They are derived from the observation of the physical world phenomenons.

>I just find it fascinating that, while we know that Newtonian Mechanics
>doesn't belong in the set Accurately_Matches_The_Real_World

False. Newtonian Mechanics matches the physical world very accurately in many circumstances and in almost every practical circumstance. They are extremely useful.

If we compare The Relational Model with Newtonian Mechanics, then the Pick approach should be compared with troglodite superstition. Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 13:45:17 CEST

Original text of this message