Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 15 May 2004 07:22:47 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<dOGdnVbUAPjTtjjdRVn-uQ_at_comcast.com>...
> If we are going to bring Newton into this forum, again, let's go back to
> the data. And let's see if we can get it right, this time.
>
> Tycho Brahe made years worth of very careful meticulous observations as to
> the positions of the planets, at observed points in time. That's data.
>
> Johannes Kepler studied Brahe's observations for years, and discovered that
> the orbits of the planets were elliptical, with one focus at the sun. He
> also discovered the "equal areas in equal times" rule for how fast they are
> moving. That's analysis.
>
> What Newton added were the laws of motion, and the law of gravitation.
> That's physics.
>
> All this talk about how "Newton got it wrong, and Einstein got it right"
> is a bunch of claptrap. The people in this forum, for the most part, don't
> know what they are talking about.

True. For the most point our expertise, if any, is in databases not physics. But some people just can't help bringing their secondary school-level knowledge of physics into every topic for some reason (not that I'm claiming to have any more than that myself). It is very tiresome. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 16:22:47 CEST

Original text of this message