Re: Peter Chen and Charles Bachman

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:19:58 -0700

> As far as whether Bachman diagrams do or do not represent one of the origins
> of the "hierarchical model of data" , I have yet to reach a conclusion on
> that. There's no question in my mind that Bachman diagrams (which he
> called "Data Structure Diagrams") were used to illustrate models of data
> well back into the 1960s. The word "hierarchy" occurs repeatedly in
> Bachman's writing.

Slightly off topic --

We recently released a video interview with Clive Finkelstein, the father of information engineering. In the first 35 seconds, there is a tribute to 16 pioneers in our field.

When we released the video recently, I asked several industry veterans how many of the 16 they recognized. Peter was the only person who replied he recognized all 16.

You need Real Player or Windows Media Player to watch it: http://www.sqlsummit.com/CFinkelstein.htm Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 11:19:58 CEST

Original text of this message