Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:34:47 GMT

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Yupoc.1153$Sf1.311_at_newssvr32.news.prodigy.com...
> "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message
> > My reading of Date allows me to assert his detailed
> > coverage of the theoretical ground of database
> > systems technology lacks any meaningful discussion
> > of the (one would implicity assume exists) application
> > system software which is to "inhabit" the system.
> >
> > This is radical incompleteness of theory.
> >
> > Are there any parties aware of any other authors
> > who allow for the theoretical treatment of the inter-
> > relationships between RDBMS software and the
> > generic application system software level?
>
> Between the RDBMS software and the application software? Well, he offers
> Tutorial D and its type system in Third Manifesto - that language is the
> interface.

Why have another language? Doesn't that suggest use of the first language is not implemented properly? ;-)

> But I have to admit I'm somewhat confused by the phrase "generic
application
> system software level", which perhaps needs a few more qualifying nouns
> and/or adjectives for clarity. :-)

I dont know. My position is a generalist one.

  1. We have database software.
  2. We have application software.
  3. When are they ever used separately?
  4. One would expect there to be in theory common ground.
  5. The theory is incomplete.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 21:34:47 CEST

Original text of this message