Re: c.d.theory glossary - RELATION

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:29:16 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:8p6dnd1z4OqsBwvd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...
> I looked over the Codd paper over the weekend. In the paper, Codd
> distinguishes between "RELATIONS" and "RELATIONSHIPS".
>
> I don't the the difference between what Codd called a "relationship" in
> that paper and what Peter Chen called a "Relationship" when he introduced
> the E-R model.

Interesting. I have read the Codd paper recently, but neer the Chen introduction of the E-R model. I thought that the E's and R's in an ERD were of the same ilk in that way -- so are both relations? What is the Chen work that you read -- is there a URL to it? --dawn Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 21:29:16 CEST

Original text of this message