Re: c.d.theory glossary - NULL

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:55:02 -0400

> You keep mixing relational and SQL. SQL ain't relational.

OK, let's put it this way:

If your task is to build the database for an application, and your choices of a DBMS product are limited to Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, or Interbase for reasons apart from the discussion in here, and you want to use the RDM as a basis for your thinking, here's what you are going to do:

You are going to use tables to represent relations, and you are going to use the SQL SELECT to represent relational and set operations on those tables.

These products have been available for use for some 20 years now, more or less. A lot of systems have been built on them. The ones that use the RDM as a basis for modeling work better, in general, than the ones that don't.

If I'm going to present data manipulation operations that represent relational operations, I'm going to use SQL for the examples. Until something better comes along. Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 14:55:02 CEST

Original text of this message