Re: Grammatical Inconsistencies

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:42:24 -0500

"Timothy J. Bruce" <uniblab_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:V6Hhc.1309$17.155058_at_news1.epix.net...
> et al:
>
> > All of these terms sound fine except for "junction" -- wouldn't
> > cross-product suffice?
> NO! `Cross Product' and `Junction' are not the same.
> They are not even close to the same.
> To misunderstand the two requires one to not even know what `self-evident'
> means!
> In a word: `Duh'.

A join on two sets is a cross-product of those two sets. Obviously we want to be sure not to get a full cartesian cross-product in the results of a select statement, so we restrict the rows to those where this=that, but that act is one of narrowing down the desired rows, not one of joining the sets, right? I've always worked with join = cartesian cross-product and I believe they are synonyms.

Please enlighten me if I have missed the boat on this one. Thanks. --dawn Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 17:42:24 CEST

Original text of this message