Re: Relational vs. PICK/Object DBMS

From: Timothy J. Bruce <uniblab_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:39:46 GMT

Ross:

> For the sake of someone like me that lacks the rigour to readily read
> your relational set notation, could you possibly restate the problem
> at hand in English, which tends to be the language of choice of my
> users (and me!)

Relational Mathematics requires a degree of precision that is lacking in English, hence the `Mathematics' in `Relational Mathematics'. English will not suffice.

> Can you map this to a real world requirement, or is this an obtuse
> theoretical device that has little relevance to the everyday world of
> the programmer that you are trying to measure the productivity of, as
> your relationships would surely be part of the DBMS in the first
> instance (though become relevant in some environments when trying to
> optimise an arbitrary query against Rik(A,Aik)
Are you aware you are currently treading in comp.databases.THEORY? There are, by the way, Real-World RDBMS's such as Alphora's Dataphor (http://www.alphora.com/)

Wollowing in lollygaggery,
Timothy J. Bruce
uniblab_at_hotmail.com
</RANT> Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 03:39:46 CDT