Re: Date's First Great Blunderhcgjy

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:50:45 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c63pic$dke$1_at_news.netins.net...
> As good as it
> is to learn from a mathematical model of a particular aspect of our work,
it
> is important not to be a slave to the application of mathematical rigor to
> every aspect of software development.

If you work somewhere that excessive mathematical rigor is a genuine problem, then I envy you. I hardly believe, however, that that's a troubling issue in this industry.

> It is JUST a model, brother, and you just might have picked a poor model
for
> addressing a paritcular problem. --dawn

I'd almost rather someone picked a poor model than no model at all (which is the same as a poor ad hoc model), as that lesser model at least gives a basis for comparison (without a controlled empirical study that may or may not address real issues).

  • erk