Re: Order & meaning in a proposition

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:19:29 +0100

In message <I1Scc.51787$_37.3056_at_newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> writes
>"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
>> Bingo - I'm referring to stuff that no one would consider "important
>enough"
>> from a data processing standpoint, but still provides information that
>need
>> not be lost (in all cases). Why lose ordering if you don't have to?
>
>Why leave its importance implicit (e.g. to be used or ignored, but in either
>case ASSUMED by application developers) if you don't have to?

Because the analyst is not omniscient? Because he didn't realise it might be important?

Because all analysis destroys data and if you're not aware of it you may lose it.

>> > Is an XML document a data model? I've only seen XML used for
>> > presentation of data, not for data storage, so forgive my ignorance.
>>
>> Nope, an XML document is not a data model, but modeling data for eventual
>> deployment via an XML document (for example, for data exchange purposes)
>> likely means use of a different data model in the first place.
>
>I disagree completely. A relational structure allows the simple generation
>of any number of hierarchies, without favoring one. Unless you enjoy
>coupling the internals of your app to every communication it has to make
>with the outside world, that's a Good Thing (tm 2004, Martha Stewart Inc.).

As does Pick :-)

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.