Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Ross Ferris <ross_at_stamina.com.au>
Date: 18 Apr 2004 17:16:39 -0700

Man,

You are now talking about a subject I've been musing over for nearly 30 years
(hmm, too many fingers, maybe only 25 :-)

Where would you like to take the thread ?

My musings have mainly dealt with halographic/laser tecniques. Even using a fixed reference beam, the permutations of a moveable interference beam (even without the "enhancement" of multiple lasers [wavelengths - much like an RGB gun]) give an "interesting" result, though I also recognise that most of the recent work has been done along the lines of quantum state "memory"

Nah, way to OT

Do we really need to consider the physical representation of the abstract data model (am I saying this - must have been something I drunk) ?

I believe that access speed (as we currently know/measure it) will become largely irrelevant - you can see this starting to happen with the price of solid state drives dropping, and the amount of RAM increasing at the current rate.

Obviously (?) the "tape drive" (offline storage media) of the not too distant future (OK, NOW for a lot of people) is going to be the disk drive of today.

That being the case, "speed differences" between various implementations will become less important, which in turn may alleviate some of the obstacles/objections people have had in implementing a "real", 100% compliant RDBMS (Star Schema & all, as the "cost" is then reduced)

Anyway, I'm now sitting down for my "real job", so I have to kill (or at least retard) the musing algorithm!