Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Ross Ferris <>
Date: 18 Apr 2004 05:16:19 -0700

"Dan" <> wrote in message news:<2Zhgc.5856$>...

Hi Dan !

I've read the thread, though my conclusions are somewhat different - I'd suggest the topic should perhaps be "Bad database design sucks - with ANY DBMS !"

I also note that the application itself appears to be quite ancient, so the methodologies that were used at that time were probably sub-optimal by ANY standard :-)

Actually, given the age of the application, this could be a classic TCO study, if we could find an "Oracle" (or other relational) solution somewhere from the same vintage to do a direct cost comparison.

Do you want to pose the question to CDP Dan ? Are there enough "Oracle" people here to get a corresponding reference point, or would the request need to go directly to that group as well ?

Given we are talking historical figures from 15-20 years ago, I would think that the client companies may not mind "anonamously" making real (or close approximation) figures available .... perfect opportunity to get some quantifiable facts & figures on where TCO figures do stand over the long term !