Re: Pizza Example

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:30:08 +0100

In message <6VFec.1415$4A7.960_at_newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>, Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> writes
>> It doesn't just "appear" intuitive -- it typically IS more
>> intuitive. --dawn
>
>Maybe, but I still wouldn't base a computational model on intuition. After
>all, the aim of symbolic logic (and Leibniz's Dream) is to automate
>reasoning through sheer symbol manipulation - precisely what formal means
>(pertaining only to form - symbolic representation). So we're at something
>of a crossroads - we either proceed in a direction that continues to make
>intuitive sense (and if it's to end users, I'd place little stock in this),
>or we proceed down a path of greater automation.

Except ...

While I don't understand Godel that well (Obviously I grok Heisenberg better), isn't this exactly what he proved can NOT be done?

That any formal logic powerful enough to describe itself is either trivial or incapable of closure? It's all very well Leibnitz having a dream, but that doesn't mean it can be fulfilled.

And why dismiss the intuitive sense of users? Don't be arrogant! Surely that's why so many computer projects go wrong - the computer experts think they're so clever that they ignore the users, and then they're surprised when the whole thing screws up!

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.