Re: Another Pizza Question

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:42:04 -0400

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c5hj2i$7vg$1_at_news.netins.net...
> fluent in such, however) and also rather painful to prepare queries to
> retrieve data in the format the user wants to see it -- with a pizza and
> then each of the classifications with all valid values listed. Note that
> the second line for toppings is only related through parentage to the
second
> cheese listed, so a single line in this 2D output from the database
doesn't
> have that SQL/relational feel about it. You have to do somewhat unnatural
> things with SQL to get such output (IMO).

SQL is an interface language. It's not a programming language. It's not a report generator. It's not a prettyprinter.

I am sure there are dozens of tools that will generate exactly the format you specified from data retrieved via SQL.

I'm the last person to suggest that SQL should be the only tool to prepare data for the user. Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 05:42:04 CEST

Original text of this message