Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:03:24 -0400

Haven't you ever heard of a joke (voodoo)?

"Putting it back together" was not my concept, it was Dawn's, and I was explaining what the correct term is for what she was describing. I made no mention of lossy joins, etc.

The final product (a physical implementation) is not just based on the domain being modeled, though, as you point out, it is based on a certain reality that must be considered. The implementation of a normalized/denormalized schema also considers physical performance factors.

BTW, the best scientists do more than just follow rules. They show a great deal of creativity, intuition, and insight. A bit like voodoo. _You_ might be surprised...