Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:55:14 GMT

"Alan" <alan_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:c5esln$suso$1_at_ID-114862.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Haven't you ever heard of a joke (voodoo)?

Sorry, I did understand that part was a joke, but had my sense of humor turned off... I was just implying that it was "closer" to science than to art, due to the principles and definitions that comprise normalization.

> "Putting it back together" was not my concept, it was Dawn's, and I was
> explaining what the correct term is for what she was describing. I made no
> mention of lossy joins, etc.
>
> The final product (a physical implementation) is not just based on the
> domain being modeled, though, as you point out, it is based on a certain
> reality that must be considered. The implementation of a
> normalized/denormalized schema also considers physical performance
factors.

> BTW, the best scientists do more than just follow rules. They show a great
> deal of creativity, intuition, and insight. A bit like voodoo. _You_ might
> be surprised...

Hmmm. That's actually the point I was trying to make - that the process of science differs from its outcome, and that creativity and intuition play a role in launching the processes, etc. etc.

I did a very poor job expressing myself below...

  • erk